B.Sc. Eng. (Moratuwa), PhD (Newcastle upon Tyne), AMRINA (London)
Senior Lecturer Grade I
Tele::+94 11 2640472 Ext: 4013
Dr. W.K.Wimalsiri graduated from University of Moratuwa in 1984, with an honors degree in Mechanical Engineering. Immediately after the graduation, he joined Department of Mechanical Engineering, University of Moratuwa as an Assistant Lecturer. In 1987, he went to University of Newcastle upon tyne, UK to follow postgraduate studies in the Field of Naval Architecture. In 1992, he completed his PhD; thesis entitled "Damage Survivability of Ro-Ro Ships". In 1992, he returned back to the University and resumed work as a Senior Lecturer. Dr Wimalsiri is the founder of Winarali Marine (pvt) Ltd in 2005.
Teaching and Administrative Work:
- Academic Board Member, National Institute of Fisheries, Nautical & Engineering, Sri Lanka (Presently Ocean University),2000 to date
- Head/Division of Interdisciplinary Studies, Institute of Technology, University of Moratuwa, 2000 to 2003
- Head Division of Maritime Studies, Department of Mechanical Engineering, University of Moratuwa,1994 to 2000
Research Activities :
- Advising Department of Fisheries on technical aspects to be considered in approving fishing boats.
- Development of Window based Loading & Stability Software for ships.
- Hull design for small craft such as fishing vessels, pleasure vessels, speed boats
Education and Training :
- Doctor of Philosophy in Naval Architecture (1991), University of Newcastle Upon Tyne, United Kingdom.
- B.Sc. Engineering (Honors)in Mechanical Engineering (1984), University of Moratuwa, Sri Lanka.
- Consultant Naval Architect
- MIESL (Member Institute Engineers Sri Lanka)
- AMRINA (Associate member Royal Institute of Naval Architect)
- “Ro-Ro Cargo Ship design and IMO Subdivision Regulation” Second Henri Kummerman Conference on Ro-Ro Safety and Vulnerability, London.(1991)
- “Ro-Ro Cargo Ships Design for Enhanced Survivability in the Damage Condition” Journal of Technical University Gdansk, Poland. (1991)
- “Survivability of Ro-Ro Ships”, Institute of Marine Engineers, Sri Lanka Branch (1991)
- “Refrigeration System for Sri Lankan Fishing Boats”,ERU (Engineering research Unit ) Publication, University of Moratuwa.(1999)
- “Knowledge Based Software for Ship Loading and Stability”, ERU Publication. (The software was developed for a local Container Ship of 540 TEU) (2000)
- “Design and Construction of Hard Chine, High Speed Planing Hull”, Symposium 2013, Kotalawala Defence University, Sri lanka (2013)