Senior Lecturer Grade II
Thusitha Sugathapala is a Senior Lecturer in this department who joined the University staff in 1987 as a Lecturer and became a Senior Lecturer in 1994.
Teaching and Administrative Work:
Teaching Areas:Postgraduate SubjectsMEng/PG Diploma in Energy Technology ProgrammePMEET102:Industrial Fluid DynamicsPMEET103:Energy SourcesPMEET202:Industrial Energy Conservation & ManagementPMEET206:Wind EnergyPMEET102:Bio EnergyPMEET302:Design of Energy SystemsPMEET304:Energy and EnvironmentMSc/PG Diploma in Electrical Insulations EE 5121-Air Conditioning, Ventilation and Fire SafetyMSc/PG Diploma in Electrical Engineering EE5056 - New and Renewable Energy SystemsUndergraduate Subjects BSc Engineering Degree ProgrammeME211:Fluid DynamicsME282:Fundamental Fluid DynamicsME302:Fluid Power Systems and MachineryME436:Energy Technology and EnvironmentME437:AerodynamicsME442:Energy ConservationME443:Computational Fluid Dynamics
Research Activities :
- Flow induced forces, sound and vibration of structures
- Wind tunnel model testing
- Aerodynamic modeling and design of wind rotors
- Theoretical and experimental investigations of free-flow fans
- Renewable Energy: Biomass and Wind
- Industrial Ventilation
- Indoor air pollution
- Vehicular Pollution
Selected Publications:Sound generated by an oscillating normal plate in a subsonic mean flow, EUROMECH ?1st European Fluid Mechanics Conference, Cambridge, U.K., September 1991. (Co- Author: Prof. A.P. Dowling)? Design and construction of horizontal axis windmill for water pumping, ERU Symposium, University of Moratuwa, Sri Lanka, September 1997.
- Performance analysis of free flow fans: A theoretical and experimental investigation, Seminar on Contributions to the Energy Scenario in Sri Lanka, Colombo, Sri Lanka, November 1997.
- A surface source singularity model for time averaged flow around cylindrical structures, ERU Symposium, University of Moratuwa, Sri Lanka, November 1998.
- Feasibility of vapour absorption based air-conditioning in industries: A case study, ERU Symposium, University of Moratuwa, Sri Lanka, December 1999. (Co- Authors: Dr. R.A. Attalage & Prof. P.D.C. Wijayatunga)
- Performance analysis of a retrofitted domestic refrigerator to run HFC 134a, ERU Symposium, University of Moratuwa, Sri Lanka, December 1999. (Co- Authors: Dr. R.A. Attalage & Dr. K.K.C.K. Perera)
- A surface source model for confined flow past a circular cylinder in a symmetrical configuration, ERU Symposium, University of Moratuwa, Sri Lanka, December 1999.
- Wall effects on the performance of ceiling fans: A two-dimensional body, ERU Symposium, University of Moratuwa, Sri Lanka, December 1999.
- Experimental investigation of table and pedestal fans (ERU Symposium - 2000, University of Moratuwa, Sri Lanka). (Co- Author: Mr. I. Somarathna)
- Sound field from an oscillating streamlined elliptical cylinder (Accepted by Journal of Sound and Vibration). (Co- Author: Prof. A.P. Dowling)
- Future scope and strategies in energy education. Proceedings of the Conference on Future Directions & Strategies in Mechanical Engineering Education ? Beyond 2000, Department of Mechanical Engineering, University of Moratuwa, Sri Lanka, 25 July 2001. (Co- Authors: Dr. R.A. Attalage & Dr. K.K.C.K. Perera)
- Potential of biomass for future energy applications in Sri Lanka - Opportunities for CDM Projects. A paper presented at the International Workshop on Implementation Strategies for Biomass Utilization in Europe and Developing Countries, Stadshotellet, Eskilstuna, Sweden 19-21 November 2001.
- Wood energy planning. A paper presented at the Workshop on Training of Trainers in Wood Energy Aspects in Sri Lanka, Sri Lanka Forestry Institute, Nuwara Eliya, Sri Lanka, 24-30 September 2001 (under the aegis of RWEDP).
- Fuelwood fired cookstoves in Sri Lanka and related issues. The J. of Energy for Sustainable Development. Volume VI No. 1, March 2002, pp. 85-94. (Co-Author: Dr. K.K.C.K. Perera)
- Policy analysis to identify the barriers to the promotion of bioenergy technologies in Sri Lanka. J. of Energy for Sustainable Development. Volume VI No. 3, September 2002, pp. 21-30.
- Sustainable biomass production for energy in Sri Lanka. Biomass & Bioenergy. Volume 25, 2003, pp. 541-556. (Co-Authors: K.K.C.K. Perera and P.G. Rathnasiri).
- Performance of battery charging wind turbine developed at NERD Center. Tenth Asian Congress on Fluid Mechanics, University of Peradeniya, Sri Lanka. 17-21 May 2004. (Co-Author: M. Narayana).
- Mitigation of Urban Air Pollution through Implementation of Successful Vehicular Emission Testing Programme: Issues and Strategies. Presented at ?Air that We Breathe? First National Symposium on Air Resource Management in Sri Lanka, on 2-4th December 2004 at Hotel Taj Samudra, Colombo. (Co-authors: AW Dissanayake, RAL Galappaththi, DA Gunawardena and WMT Susil Perera).
- Assessment of sustainable energy potential of non-plantation biomass resources in Sri Lanka. Biomass & Bioenergy. Volume 29, 2005, pp. 199-213. (Co-Authors: K.K.C.K. Perera. P.G. Rathnasiri, S.A.S. Senerath, S.C. Bhattacharya and P. Abdul Salam).
- Design, Fabrication and Testing of a Down Draft Stove for Small Scale Industrial Applications. 12th ERU ymposium ?Research for Industry?, UoM 29th November, 2006. (Co-Authors: IPTS Wickramasooriya, S Witharana and ABAT Wickramanayake).
- A Solution for the Skilled Labour Scarcity of Cinnamon Processing through Mechanisation. 12th ERU Symposium ?Research for Industry?, UoM 29th November, 2006. (Co-Authors: AMT Adhikari, JR Gamage, PGS Priyadarshana, and UP Kahangamage).
- Biomass Gasification in Sri Lanka. Accepted for publication in J. of Asia Pacific Tech Monitor. Jul-Aug 2007 Issue.
- Cinnamon as an Alternative Biomass Option for Energy Applications in Sri Lanka. Submitted to J. Biomass & Bioenergy. (Co-Authors: A.D.U.S. Amarasinghe and K. Kannangara).