The Applied Thermodynamics Laboratory is one of the leading laboratories in University of Moratuwa, which conducts multi-disciplinary research-work related to energy engineering while developing efficient and effective solutions to problems related with thermodynamics, heat transfer and fluid dynamics. The Thermo-Fluid and Energy group is involved in research and design work related with energy efficient buildings and conducts energy audits to improve energy efficiency of complex energy systems.
The laboratory has state-of-the-art resources and expertise to cater to the needs of mandatory laboratory component of the undergraduate/post graduate programmes. The lab focuses on areas related to thermodynamics including heat engines and work transfer devices, heat transfer and fluid dynamics.
Services of the laboratory are also extended to outside institutions with national importance by conducting experiments and the thermo-fluids and energy group with its laboratory facilities is interested in supporting the industry through various collaborations.
Facilities and Major Equipment:
- Wind tunnel with maximum wind speed of 22m/s
- ‘Cochran’ 3 pass fire tube steam boiler ; capacity 1000kg/h at 100o C working pressure 130 psi
- Steam turbine 4-8 bhp at 2000-4000rpm
- Two stage reciprocating air compressor dynamometer test rig
- Portable dead weight pressure gauge tester
- Redwood viscometer
- Various measuring instruments
- IR thermometer
- Digital relative humidity meter
- Sound level meter/data logger (30-130dB)
- Digital tachometer (10-99000rpm)
- Anemometer 0.4 – 25 m/s
- Gas turbine module (with a video)
- Jet turbine (35000-116000rpm)
- Power turbine (0-3600rpm with mechanical power output of 0-0.5kW)
Software toolsSoftware includes analysing and simulating thermodynamic cycles and carryout analysis and simulations of heat transfer and heat exchangers.
- Dr. T.A. Piyasiri - (Director)
- Prof. R.A. Attalage
- Prof. K.C. Perera
- Dr. A.G.T. Sugathapala
- Dr.(Mrs.) M.M.I.D. Manthilake
- Mr. S. Ganespiragas – Senior Engineering Teaching Assistant
- Mr. A.D.S. De Silva – Staff Technical Officer
- Mr. W.D.U. Fernando – Boiler Operator
- Mr. N.U. De Silva - Laboratory Attendant